Mater Christi School is sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, and thus is based spiritually in the Roman Catholic tradition. At the same time, the school supports the religious beliefs of each of its students and their families, realizing that the members that make up a diverse religious population bring inestimable gifts to the school as a whole. 55% of the student population is Catholic and 45% of our students are not Catholic.
Mater Christi School offers many opportunities to the students and faculty to grow spiritually through frequent prayer, through respect for each other and through support of those who need their help in some way.
2014-2015 Spirituality Events
- 11/21/14 – Mater Christi School is holding its annual Mass of Thanksgiving on Friday, Nov. 21 at 9:00 a.m. Celebrant of the Mass is Msgr. B. Bourgeois. The entire student body will be present with the 6th graders acting as leaders of the celebration. Everyone is invited to attend this Mass.
- 12/5/14- Fr. David Theroux, SSE, will be our Celebrant for the Mass for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on Monday, December 5th at 1:15 in the gym. Everyone is invited to attend.
- Advent, 2014: We will have having two Advent Prayer Services to which everyone is welcome to join. Each will take place at 8:30 am in the gym on December 5th and December 19th. The Pre-Kindergarten will be hosting the first prayer service and the 3rd grade will be hosting the second.Students will have an opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation during Advent. Several area priests will be coming to the school to hear the confessions of the students who would like to receive this Sacrament. Some students may prefer to simply ask Father for his blessing. Neither option is obligatory. We are very grateful to our busy priests for being willing to spend time with our MCS students.
- 2/18/15- Everyone is invited to join the MCS students, faculty and staff for the Ash Wednesday Mass at 1:15 in the gym. Mass will be celebrated by Fr. David Theroux, SSE. We hope to see you there.
- 5/14/15- Join us for our Ascension Thursday Mass at 9:45 a.m. in the school gym. Father Jon Schnobrich will be our celebrant. Everyone is invited to join the students and faculty at this Mass. Immediately following Mass is Mater Christi’s traditional May Crowning. Younger students are invited to bring flowers and and older students will do readings, act as honor guards, and an 8th grade girl will have the honor of crowning Mary’s statue. This ceremony will take place in front of the middle school building, and everyone is welcome to join in this special event. In case of rain, the ceremony will take place in the elementary building.
2014-2015 Catholic Schools Week Agenda (January 26-30)
Monday, January 26: Mass at 9:00 a.m. with Fr. Schnobrich as celebrant. Immediately following Mass will be an assembly for entire school to recognize the students who are competing in the Prudential Spirit of Community Award Program with the reading of a brief summary of each student’s volunteer efforts. Student council medals will be awarded by Mr. Whayland.
Tuesday, January 27: Pastors Day Variety Show, 1:00 p.m. for pastors and entire school, hosted by Sr. Joanne
Wednesday, Jan. 28: The Mass at RMHS has been postponed. It may take place on March 19.If this happens, our Lenten Mass for PreK –grade 5 will take place on Monday, March 9.
Thursday, January 29: Open House, 8:30 – 11:00 a.m. Buddy Bingo for students at 1:00, hosted by Mrs. Quinlan. Mr. Fontana and Mr. Lash will be attending Bishop Coyne’s Installation at 2:00.
Friday, January 30: Parent/Teacher Conferences. No school for students.